2019 is here! 2019 is here!! Hooray!! I cannot begin to express how happy I am that 2018 is FINALLY over. Fact: 2018 did not like me! Thankfully, it was not one of the most difficult years I’ve ever faced but it was complicated nonetheless. The company that I worked for and absolutely loved, closed its doors. So after three years I found myself back on the job market. Not at all what I was expecting but well…there you have it. The upside is that I got a lot of writing done in those couple of months. I’m closer now to finishing my book. We’ll see what happens in the next six months. Wish me luck!
In keeping with New Year’s tradition, I sat down at my nifty breakfast nook table on the morning of December 31st, 2018 to write out my plan, goals for 2019. One of which is to do a better job of keeping up with my book-review blog. I’m also committed to doing more yoga this year; not just on Saturday mornings. One of my 2018 resolutions was to read 12 books of 400-pages or more. It turns out I start to lose interest and my patience at around 250 pages into one particular subject. In the end, I ended up reading 52 books of varying lengths and subjects; some surpassed the 400 page count (holy cow Goldfinch!), others barely made the 200 page count. I could have read more but chose instead to focus on writing my book.
This year, I am aiming for a minimum of 60 books regardless of the length. It seems like with every year that passes, I fall in love more and more with reading. I liked it 20 years ago. Now, I must have it or I’ll go mad. I recently dated someone that didn’t appreciate my passion…so…we’re no longer a “we”. Ha! Just kidding. But I’m serious. He was eating into my reading time and getting in the way of my passion. What is the likelihood of two bibliophiles finding and falling for each other? Sounds like heaven on earth and they say God doesn’t like competition. So it may be an unrealistic dream. We shall see…
Here are my favorite five books for 2018 by order of ranking (#1 being the best):
- The Unsettling of America by Wendell Berry
- Blue Nights by Joan Didion
- The Fire Next Time by James Baldwin
- The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Schaffer, Annie Barrows
- End the Fed by Ron Paul
As for my 2019 reading list, I think I’ve got some interesting ones lined up. Here are some just to name a few:
- Devil’s Knot by Mara Leveritt (currently reading)
- The Souls of Black Folk by W.E.B. Du Bois (currently reading)
- Ponzi Planet by Mitch Feierstein (currently reading)
- The Lager Queen of Minnesota by J. Ryan Stradal
- The Essential Charles Eastman by Charles Alexander Eastman
- The Milk Lady of Bangalore by Shoba Narayan
- Killers of the Flower Moon by David Grann
- The Cadaver King and the Country Dentist by Radley Balko, Tucker Carrington
- Educated by Tara Westover
- Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman
Of course, I plan to add many along the way. Any good recommendations? I’d love to hear which were your favorites from last year. Does anyone have a unique New Year’s resolution? I’d love to hear from you! I hope 2019 is an excellent year for you!!